Please Note - This is not a vacancy. We welcome applications at any time to be kept on file for 6 months.
With a major focus on customer service, we are committed to assisting our visitors to ensure their visit is as enjoyable as possible. We facilitate interactive attractions, display animals, present talks and conduct guided tours. And we do all of this with unwavering enthusiasm (our passion is hard to hide!) and professionalism. We love to inform and educate visitors of all ages, so it can be hard to shut us up! New staff are provided with species information - there is a lot to learn, so we hope you like reading!
We are proud of our customer focused culture and expect new staff to adopt this attitude immediately - in fact, at interview stage, it is easy to see who already has the right attitude to quality customer-care!
We also supervise visitors within interactive areas to ensure the safety of our animals, and the visitors; we take a preventative approach to supervision, so we are required to be assertive and proactive.
We are committed to providing the highest standard of quality care to our animals, and we take our responsibility for maintaining their health and welfare seriously. As a new staff member, this part of the job would only make up 2 to 3 hours of your day.
We put a lot of effort into ensuring the park is clean, tidy, well-presented and safe. Naturally we clean the animal's enclosures and exhibits, but we also clean windows, pick up rubbish, empty rubbish bins, wash dishes and clean toilets. We weed, rake pathways, mulch garden beds, 'blow' picnic areas. We even vacuum the grass! And......don't forget poop patrol!! If you don't already know how to sweep, mop, wipe, scrub, hose, rake, weed, change a bin-bag and use a blower-vac, you sure will after working with us! And if you don't like the idea of picking up someone's cigarette butt or baby wipe, this isn't the job for you!
Flexible availability is a must; being available to work on weekdays, weekends, public holidays and school holidays. All staff are required to be available to work regular weekends and must be available both Saturdays and Sundays.
Full-time staff work 5 days per week on a rotating roster (no set days on/off); part-time staff work 2-4 days per week (set rosters are considered for tertiary students only).
The shift is 8.00am to 5.00pm.
We are expected to be available to work holiday periods, such as Christmas, New Year, Australia Day, Easter and public holidays - these are our busiest times, so 'all hands on deck'.
So, what are we looking for?:
Customer Service Attributes
- Demonstrate an understanding of superior customer service
- A people-person who enjoys interacting with the public
- Comfortable with public speaking
- Have an ability to build a rapport quickly
- Have a personality to suit our tourist-attraction culture
- Cultural awareness and sensitivity
- Assertiveness and confidence
- Diplomacy and discretion
- A charismatic team player with a willingness to get involved
- A “can do” attitude with a drive to achieve excellence
- Enjoy the “hustle and bustle” of a busy workplace
- Professionalism, integrity and a strong work ethic
- Dedication to effective workplace health and safety
- Self-motivated, teach-ability and enthusiasm to learn
- An understanding of the importance of workplace confidentiality
- Versatile work style
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Experience working in a tourist attraction or similar is highly regarded
- Experience working as a Tour Guide is highly regarded
- Experience working with native wildlife is highly regarded (for example, paid or unpaid experience in a wildlife rescue/rehabilitation organisation)
- Experience working with animals is desirable (for example, paid or unpaid experience working as a kennel hand, stable hand, dog groomer, dog trainer, animal breeder, etc)
Qualifications with native wildlife, tourism, tour guiding or similar are highly regarded
Other Pre-requisites and Conditions
- Be in good health, and be physically fit and active, as the position requires you to work on your feet for most of the day and perform some manual labour duties, including, but not limited to, pushing wheel barrows, pulling trolleys/carts, raking, sweeping, digging, lifting and carrying up to 20-25kilos and climbing over waist-height fences
- Willingness to work in all weather conditions, and be prepared to get wet, muddy, dirty and sweaty
- Our personal appearance is extremely important in demonstrating our passion for professionalism. Hair at shoulder-length or longer is to be tied back. Excessive make-up and jewellery will not be permitted. Facial piercings and visible tattoos may not be permitted.
- Have a reliable way of getting to and from work (public transport is not suitable)
- Possession of a valid, manual driver’s license is desirable
- Be prepared to have, or provide documentation of, a valid Tetanus Vaccination
- Be prepared to provide an up-to-date Police Clearance
- Be prepared to provide a minimum of 2 professional verbal references, that are from within the last 3 years
- Positions are permanent; long-term applicants considered only
- 6 month probationary periodd