What Does The Position Involve?
- Animal Husbandry - volunteers feed the animals and clean the enclosures of both native fauna and domestic farm animals. Tasks may also include providing enrichment, feed preparation and cleaning the kitchen afterwards.
- Grounds-keeping - these are all of the tasks that make the park a safe and well-presented facility for all to enjoy. Tasks may include raking pathways, mulching garden beds, weeding, emptying bins and cleaning windows.
- Customer Service - this is where we show our guests a great time! Tasks may include displaying animals at Meet the Wombat & Friends, chatting to visitors in the kangaroo enclosure and helping at Meet the Koalas.
There is plenty of variety in the day, and each day is different. This position is best suited to those who want to be hands-on and enjoy the hustle and bustle of a buzzing workplace! We work very hard and we will expect the same of you. This way, you will get the most out of your time with us. You wont be playing with cuddly animals all day, but it will be an educational and rewarding experience that you'll remember forever!
Who Is The Position Best Suited To?
We offer these positions to three different types of volunteers:
1. Student volunteers who are studying a course that is directly related to what we do. Such courses include Cert II, III and IV Companion Animal Studies, Cert III Captive Animals (not suitable for Cert IV Captive Animals). The position is also suited to Animal Health/Animal Science/Biological Science students who are seeking practical husbandry experience.
2. Local volunteers who are passionate about working with animals and interested in working in the industry. This is a really effective way of learning more about the job, gaining practical experience and knowledge, and getting a foot in the door.
3. International volunteers who wish to gain husbandry experience abroad and can commit to a minimum engagement period.
One set day per week - 8.00am to 5.00pm
The position is offered on a short-term basis (usually 3-4months) however there may be the option to extend or become permanent.
Please Note: These positions are extremely competitive and there may be a wait list for your preferred day.
- Applicants must be aged 18 or above
- Applicants are required to have a reliable way of getting to and from CWP, without the use of public transport
- Applicants are expected to be reliable and make a serious commitment of one shift per week
- Applicants are required to attend a 1 hour on-site induction prior to commencement.
- Applicants must be prepared to do some pre-start training, from the comfort of their couch!
- Applicants are required to provide their own full-length pants and closed-in shoes. A uniform polo shirt and hat are provided
- Applicants are expected to demonstrate behaviour, attitude and attendance that portrays their commitment and professionalism
A one-off payment of $100 is required
What can I do now to become a Volunteer?
- Fill out the online Application Form!