What Does The Position Involve?
- Customer Service - this is where we show our guests a great time! Tasks may include displaying animals at Meet the Wombat & Friends, chatting to visitors in the kangaroo enclosure and helping at Meet the Koalas.
- Animal Husbandry - duties may include feed preparation, washing dishes and cleaning the kitchen after food prep. Volunteers work alongside the keepers to provide enrichment, feed and clean the enclosures of both native fauna and domestic farm animals.
- Grounds-keeping - these are all of the tasks that make the park a safe and well-presented facility for all to enjoy. Tasks may include raking pathways, mulching garden beds, weeding, emptying bins, picking-up rubbish and cleaning windows.
There is plenty of variety in the day, and each day is different. This position is best suited to those who want to be hands-on and enjoy the hustle and bustle of a buzzing workplace! We work very hard and we will expect the same of you. This way, you will get the most out of your time with us. You wont be playing with cuddly animals all day, but it will be an educational and rewarding experience that you'll remember forever!
We offer 3 different types of volunteer positions:
1. Student volunteers who are seeking work experience (There is currently a wait list for student volunteer places)
Student volunteers must be currently enrolled in a course that is directly related to what we do; such courses include Cert II or III Companion Animal Studies and Cert III Captive Animals.
To get the most out of your learning experience we require our volunteer students to commit to a minimum of one full set day per week - 8.00am to 5.00pm. Half day shifts are available at our discretion, however from experience we know that it will be harder for you to achieve your required tasks on these shorter shifts.
This position is initially offered on a short-term 6 month basis however there may be the option to extend or become permanent.
We are not a training institute and therefore your coursework is your responsibility. When you sign up as a volunteer we offer you the ability to meet the practical hours required by your course while also gaining valuable workplace experience. Specific assessments or tasks that you are required to complete which may not fit into the volunteer daily schedule can still be accommodated with advance warning. However, our days can sometimes be unpredictable and the needs of the park will take precedence; in which case specific assessments may have to be postponed, but all efforts will be made on our part to complete course tasks whenever possible. We strongly advise that you commit to more hours than the minimum required by your course to ensure you have enough time to complete your assessments.
These positions are extremely competitive and there may be a wait list for your preferred day.
Please only apply for this position if completing industry hours is a requirement of your course, and/or you are required to have tasks/assessments signed-off by us. If you ARE NOT required to complete hours and/or assessments, but simply wish to gain industry experience to compliment your studies, please apply for a Local Volunteer position.
PLEASE NOTE the following exclusions:
- We are not a suitable placement for Cert IV Captive Animals or Vet Nursing.
- We do not host Open Colleges students or Murdoch Tafe students.
- For students studying Animal Health/Animal Science/Biological Science students, we can offer hands-on experience and a reference; however, we are not a suitable placement for signing-off hours. If you wish to apply, please apply as a Local Volunteer.
2. Local volunteers who are passionate about working with animals and interested in working in the industry
This is a really effective way of learning more about the job, gaining practical experience and knowledge, and getting a foot in the door.
We can offer you 3 different shift times - 8.00am to 5.00pm, 8.00am to 1.00pm or 12.00pm to 5.00pm. You would be required to commit to a minimum of one set shift per week.
This position is initially offered on a short-term 6 month basis however there is the option to extend or become permanent.
3. International volunteers who wish to gain husbandry experience abroad
How exciting that you have the opportunity to volunteer abroad! We would love to be a memorable part of your time in Perth; however we require a minimum engagement period of 15 shifts.
Unfortunately, we are unable to offer accommodation.
What else do i need to know?
- Minimum age limit of 18 years
- Shifts are available every day of the week
- Bubbly, confident personalities best suit our tourist-attraction culture. Whilst we wont require you to perform keeper talks, you will need to be comfortable talking to small groups of visitors
- This position requires you to be able to follow both written and verbal instruction, independently follow a timetable and work autonomously. If you require one-on-one assistance in the workplace, unfortunately this position wont be suited to you - we can not accommodate support workers
- A one-off non-refundable payment of $100 is required to secure your position, and cover the cost of uniform and initial training
- We aim to get you started as quickly as possible - we are usually able to offer you an Induction between 2 - 6 weeks of applying
- Prior to commencement, you will be asked to complete some pre-start training, conveniently done from the comfort of your couch! And you'll then need to attend a 3 hour familiarization, followed by a 4 hour Induction on-site
- We provide a uniform top and hat. Volunteers are required to provide their own full-length pants and closed-in shoes
- Our personal appearance policy, including piercing and tattoo restrictions, is to be adhered to
- Unfortunately public transport is not an effective method for getting to CWP for 8am, so volunteers need to have a reliable way of getting to and from the park
- Volunteers are expected to be reliable and make a serious commitment - conduct, attitude and attendance is expected to portray one's commitment and professionalism
Thank you for you consideration of the Volunteer position. If you wish to proceed, please complete the online application form.
If you require any further information please email email@example.com